We have been based in Osterode since the company was founded in 1959.
Zuelch over time ...
At the beginning
On January 1, 1918, the companies “Zülch & Dr. Sckerl Farben- und Lackfarben” and “Deutsche Druckfarbenfabrik Zülch & Dr. Sckerl” were founded as oHG in Leipzig/Eutritzsch.
First production recipe
The first production recipe is for 180 kg of “Broncetinctur” for the company Carl Eckart, Fürth, with which business relations still exist today.
In the 20s
On 27.09.1923, the loan fee for a boiler is 32,479,000,000 marks. Paid on November 22, 1923 97,864,000,000 Marks. A residual debt of 64.95 gold marks remains.
Foreign exchange problems
A customer from Estonia offers on 07.12.1923 export butter at 300,- Estn. Mark/kg and smoked bacon at 200,- Estn. Mark/kg “duty free” as payment. For comparison: 1,- US$ = 357,50 Estn. Mark.
Trademarks are registered at this time in Italy (Torino), Dublin (Ireland), India (Bombay), Hong Kong and China, among others.
In the 30s
Color all over the world
Representations or warehouses are maintained in the following cities: Alexandria, Amsterdam, Barranquillia, Barcelona, Bombay, Calcutta, Caracas, Dublin, Habana, Helsinki, Kaunas, Malmö, Nicosia, Oslo, Rangoon, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, Tallinn, Tehran, Tel-Aviv, Tokyo, Turin.
In the 40s
In 1945, almost all production and auxiliary buildings were completely destroyed in about 12 minutes. Only the administration remains heavily damaged.
In 1947 the company participated again as an exhibitor at the Leipzig Spring Fair (March 04 – 09, 1947).
Planned economy live
(… and without color) A letter to the editor from the Sächsische Zeitung in 1949
Order on 22.10.1948, delivery on 17.02.1949; four months of bureaucracy for about 70 kg of paint!
“One can understand if the men from the nationally owned Wehoma-Maschinenbau in Tharandt are angry. After all, they need paint to paint their newly manufactured machines.” On October 22, 1948, they requested a total of 70 kilograms of varnish paint, thinner and model varnish on VB 25.
On November 19, 1948 (!), the order was (already!) approved by the Dresden Chamber of Industry and Commerce, but Lackfabrik Coswig (VVB) was unable to deliver. On December 31, all commodity checks expired. It was: wait for new regulations. In the meantime, the Tharandt team obtained a delivery commitment from Coswig.
On January 26, 1949, this pledge was submitted to the state government. The latter declined. Tharandt is scheduled to be in Leipzig, he said. This time, however, Leipzig could not deliver. Lightning talk with Mr. Schneider, Department of Mechanical Engineering at the state government: “Leipzig can’t deliver!” Mr. Schneider: “Submit a new VB 23 form.”
On February 1, this happens, with courier. This is followed by a message from SIK: “Paint can be picked up at Zülch & Skerl, Leipzig!” – Zülch & Skerl inform us: “First deliver empty containers. Then you will be informed when you can pick up the paint. We can’t deliver now!” (!) Immediately afterwards Zülch & Skerl inform: “Release certificate for color withdrawn by Fachkontor Chemie”.
On February 11, 1949: advance of our scouts at the SIK.
On February 14, 1949: release certificate for Coswig.
On February 17, 1949: delivery of the paint to us.
The two-year plan is to be fulfilled ahead of schedule, overheads are to be reduced! Impossible with such a tangle and pace.
People’s Correspondent P.
In the 50s
Escape from the GDR
In 1952, the Zülch family fled the then GDR, and the company was nationalized in the following years and integrated into the “Vereinigung Volkseigener Betriebe Lacke und Farben” (LACUFA Group).
New start in the West
In 1959, the company Eckard Zülch GmbH & Co Lackfarbenfabrik was founded in Osterode am Harz by Mr. Eckard Zülch.
In the 80s
Purchase of the present premises.
In 1985, the company moved into the completely rebuilt and renovated premises in Friedrich-Ebert-Straße in Lerbach.
In the 90s
The already existing quality management system is certified according to EN ISO 9001 by TÜV-Cert under the number 08/100/1790.
Specialization and internationalization
Due to the specialization of the product range and increasing internationalization of the business, contacts exist in the following countries: Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Great Britain, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Egypt, Colombia, Peru, USA; Canada, Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Australia.
In 1998, the company’s ecological commitment, both in product development and in in-house production, was documented by certification to ISO 14001 by TÜV-Cert under the number 08/104/1790.
Family business in the third generation
Hanns-E. Zülch takes over the company in 1999.
On the waterway
In 1999, a water-thinnable paint is patented.
In the recent past
2001 – Zülch becomes Zuelch
Due to the expanding international business we change our company name to Zuelch Industrial Coatings GmbH on 01.03.2001. Now it also works with the internet address…
2005 – Always on the move
After intensive research work, the water-dilutable alternative to the previous solvent-based corrosion protection coating can be presented.
2009 – Zuelch looks back on 50 successful years.
Inauguration of the new laboratory building on 25.09.2009 with a tour of the plant
With foresight, the foundation stone was laid in 2008 and the research and development capacities are to be increased by a new laboratory building.
A total of 8 laboratory positions will be created. Rooms for training facilities and additional offices were also added.
2012 – Inauguration of the warehouse on 14.09.2012
The 600 sqm new building offers space for 800 pallets.
The new warehouse gives the company the opportunity to now stock a much wider range of waterborne products, a variety of raw materials, more waterborne finished products and – with appropriate agreements – special products for individual use.
The newly designed and covered loading area now allows loading and unloading regardless of the weather.
2014 – Investment in the environment and energy efficiency
Installation of the new heating, filtering and ventilation system
The installation of the new heating, filter and ventilation system, which cost 150,000 euros, promises cost and energy savings through better heat recovery and a higher filter efficiency. This is visible for all to see in the new container-like control cabinets as well as the almost ten-meter-high stainless steel chimney.
2018 – Green electricity
We are converting the entire operation to green electricity and setting up a wallbox for charging e-cars.
2022 – Photovoltaic system
After a long delivery time, we were able to put our 118 modules with 44 KW peak into operation and thus cover a large part of our energy supply.